February 16, 2013

Math Cubes



      
 Our school has been 'unpacking' the Iowa Common Core and been working through the math curriculum. I have never been passionate about math; and it has started to ring through into my lack of 'excitement' for teaching math to my Kindergarteners. 

However, it is my responsibility to give the best education to my kiddos and that does include the math part...especially the math part. My class this year does very well with centers. They are also engaged in learning, the why, when, how, and knowing of the learning. :) In Literacy, we do the Daily 5. In math we have been doing math centers for a while in our classroom; but I had let the organization of it all slide. Tonight when I was in my classroom looking at the math shelves; I noticed I had a good set-up and good materials. I just had an unfinished idea and needed more materials. I want the math supplies, games, activities, to be for student independence and welcoming to my students. This is where Pinterest comes in. I found some neat mini-math-games I could create for my math centers on THIS site thanks to Pinterest. Fast forward an hour or so, I am applying my self and making some math activities for my students. It all comes down to seeing it and then putting it into action. 


(The paragraphs above may not make since, but the idea is to put effort into the activities to help support, encourage, and develop the math skills for Kindergarten...benchmarks...)

Check out the new "pattern" activity I set-up for my students.The students are to match the cubes to the picture direction shown. Some of the ABC patterns are missing a color, this is to enrich the activity and the student has to work through it. 

& I am actually kind of good at this...

The activity below is number recognition through number correspondence (fix) the students will have to count the dots and find the matching numeral that corresponds with the number of dots. (Use the DOT markers) to cover the numerals with the correct color. 

dot-to-dot

More math activities to come as I make them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment