May 18, 2013

This SoutWest


My view as I am posting :)
    My afternoon took a turn for some physical productiveness after leaving the aroma of coffee and library with a few novels tucked into my 31 bag. I was sitting on the patio; a place I have truly become to embrace the past few weeks (oddly, I neglected it last year). Needless to say, I decided that since I had no plans for the day I would go on a 'little bike-ride'.
    Here in SouthWest Iowa, a bike ride most usually consists of traveling on the Wabash Trace; outfitted with dirt paths and old wooden railroad bridges. I had initial plans to ride to the 2nd road..about 3 miles out...round trip of a total 6 miles. However, in the back of my mind I thought...why not just bike all the way to the Emerald Isle (located in Imogene if you looked at the Wabash Trace map)? It was a rather daring thought; 8 miles of gravel and up-hill...alone, with no phone (don't read this mom). However, my casual ride had turned into a work-out, I have biked the route many times last year (emphasis needed) and felt the motivation to do it today.  I was cruisin' on my set of wheels...feeling the burn. It was a great ride, the weather was fabulous, sun shining, tractors planting, birds chirping, I even caught a scent of lilacs (thank you Lord).
   
only 2 stops while cruising

     Upon arriving, I shakily walked in and straight up to the bar. "Large water please". I felt accomplished, and kind of liked that I had done it all alone. "Just out cruising for the afternoon" was how I said it. Kind of silly because there were actual "bikers" (vroom vroom) eating in the restaurant too. I chatted with the owner's for a little bit and then I was on my way.

     The ride back was a little less intense then the ride there, but 1/2 way I was wishing I had eaten a fuller lunch. :) Needless to say, I enjoy looking at SouthWest Iowa from the view of the Trace and crossing those old wooden railroad bridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment