June 3, 2012

  WOW! I have not been on here since last fall...when my journey to Shenandoah was just beginning. My last post was back in August! The purpose of this blog was to blog about my life in a new state, town, and new chapter of my life. Although I did not (obviously) stay on top of that on this blog, I have had no problem keeping my dear ones up to date via Facebook or phone conversations. I actually find it interesting to read how I felt last summer, to how I feel now...almost 1 year later.
  But seriously...I CAN"T BELIEVE IT HAS ALMOST BEEN A YEAR SINCE I MOVED! I read my posts from last August and smile with bittersweetness. I was so unsure of what this new adventure would bring me...but I was okay with it. So much has happened in this past year...but honestly, it feels normal; it's my life and I can't imagine it not happening. So instead of me relinquishing the past year (that would be a mouthful) I am going to dedicate this post to things I didn't expect happening, but happened and things that I can't imagine never not happening.
  
Some things I did not know last June...
  
  • living on your 'own' in college with 4 roomies is different from living alone out of college
  •  I had no concept of what South-West Iowa was like
  •  being responsible for the well being of 16 kiddos is so much more than a 8-4 job 
  • Teaching as a reality has forever changed me
  • what it truly meant to be self-sufficient 
  • everybody and everyone would be interested and have knowledge of me
  • farmers don't (always) throw the seeds to the wind and see where they land
  • "think before you speak" is Truth
  • I definitely didn't know what it would feel like to not be able to hop in my car, pick up a Starbucks and go home to see my parents for the afternoon.
  • the term, 'out of sight out of mind' is a lie
  • I would meet such incredible people
  • The friend's I have made (& kept) will be apart of my life forever
  • I would actually adapt easily to the lifestyle of South-West, Iowa
contrary to popular belief, South-West Iowa is nothing like the rest of Iowa. It is beautifully full of rolling hills, countryside bluffs, and perfectly farmed fields of corn and alfalfa. :)

                                            -Carissa Christine


After reflecting on some things (not all, by far) that I did not know last June...there are many things that I know now that have always seemed to be a part of me...I had only to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment